Lifestyle can be briefly described as the way we chose to live our life. It is just not about living, it is about how we live. It is just not about eating fruits and vegetables, but also about ensuring that what we chose to eat, adds value to our health and life. It is all about living a life that is healthy, active and happy. It is about spending quality time with our family, friends and loved ones that adds to the overall well-being.
Every year in the month of February, Lifestyle Awareness Day is observed as an awareness initiative to educate and create awareness on the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. Through this day it is communicated to the people on the elements of good nutrition, physical activity, tobacco control, awareness against alcohol and drug abuse and the importance of safe sexual behaviour. Through this day the people get the opportunity of know and tackle lifestyle diseases like obesity, hypertension, depression, inactivity and unhealthy diets.
Living a healthy lifestyle is not at all difficult as we might think of. Just like anything else, it starts with a simple step. Whether it is quitting the habit of smoking or alcohol, or choosing to eat healthy and engaging in some sort of physical activity.
Noted below are some lifestyle changes that is recommended on this lifestyle awareness day for all for a better and healthier tomorrow:
- Choose to reduce your salt intake: High salt intakes are responsible for issues related to blood pressure and in the long run towards heart diseases and strokes. Reduce the use of salt to minimum along with processed and fast foods.
- Increase calcium intake: It is a vital mineral for bone and tooth health. It is also important for other body functions like the contractions of muscles.
- Adopt to eating a balanced diet: Diet with the right ratio of essential elements like minerals, fats, proteins and carbohydrates are necessary for the proper functioning of all organs in the body and its development.
- Quit smoking and reduce alcohol intake: Both these elements are of no good to us. Smoking damages our lungs and alcohol our kidneys and other vital organs of the body. The benefits are none, whereas, the damages are countless.
- Exercise regularly and stay hydrated: Drink atleast 8 to 10 glasses of water throughout the day to keep hydrated. Water is the best medicine that we could have to stay healthy and cleansed. Exercising regularly keeps us fit and active and keeps our muscles toned and relaxed.
The world changes even before we could realize the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. Take the first step forward and start living a happy and healthier life.
Source: Ms. Sheela Seharwat, Dietitian. She is one of the youngest successful entrepreneur of India, and founder and head mentor of Diet Clinic Health Care Pvt. Ltd.
Image Source: Steemit